Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I've been working on this cartoon gag off and on for months. I've talked to Walter about and from time to time revisit it to make it work. I've been unsuccessful so far. So I turn to the public for help.

The gag is based on the cliche, "Would it kill you to..." For example, a wife says to her husband, "Would it kill you to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher?" A different way of nagging over somewhat trivial but annoying habits: failing to put the toilet paper on the dispenser, squeezing the toothpaste tube from the middle, pressing the clear button on the microwave after removing something prematurely, etc.

Anyhow, the gag: a woman is at a funeral, she says to a woman sitting next to her, "I asked him if it would kill him to put his dirty socks in the hamper? It did."

A variation on the gag: A doctor says to a woman, "Your husband was killed by putting his dirty socks in the hamper." The woman says, "My God, I had no idea that would really happen."

Another variation: A couple in a doctor's office. The doctor says, "Yes, it would kill him to put his dirty socks in the hamper."

Yet another variation: No dialogue. A woman standing in a doorway, look of shock on her face. Her husband lying dead on the floor, next to the hamper, one hand stuck on the top of the hamper. In his hand a pair of dirty socks. This one is only funny in the context of the previous variations. This one could change into a CSI gag.

Any suggestions? There is some comedy there but I'm having trouble getting to it.

You, the reader also got a glimpse into the gag writing process. My process anyway.

For the record, Walter always places his dirty socks in the hamper.

No comments: