Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I'm not attempting to become the next Comics Curmudgeon. He's brilliant, witty and has time to read all the funnies. His wit has added to my enjoyment of the funnies. Thanks to him and rec.arts.comic.strips I read Mary Worth every weekday. I have Mary Worth on my Chron.com comic page. Mary @#$%*! Worth!

Josh's site is the reason I still suffer through For Better or For Worse. He also saves me from suffering through the other "realistic strips" and just gives me the amusing highlights.

All I'm doing here is just sharing the comics that I read today that disturb me.

I like Randy Glasbergen. I admire his ability to come up a with solid gags every day, year in, year out. His art style is suited for the single panel and the microscopic scale that it is printed in the newspaper. Uses the limits of the medium quite well. I have bought one of his books.

Better Half is a nice safe comic strip until Glasbergen does something weird with the art. For example, drawing his characters face forward or this case, fusing the characters. I know, it's supposed to be a visual metaphor but it literally scared the shit out of me. I'm using the word 'literally' correctly. I read this comic on Chron. com and then a very strong urge to go the bathroom hit me. It was one of those where you doubt if you can make it to the bathroom on time. This may have been the result of the large amounts of Valentine's candy that I had consumed. I blame Glasbergen because it's funnier. I did make it to the bathroom on time.

I'll address the strange triangle shaped growth under the wife's arm in a different post.

I read Mary Worth to remind myself of the banality of evil.

Dr. Jeff is trying to wrest that railing from the hospital bed and beat Mary Worth off with it. Wait, that did not come out quite right. Dr. Jeff, only a wooden stake through the heart can kill Mary Worth. Maybe.

I'm afraid of the world outside the four panels of One Big Happy. According to Ruthie, it does not seem very happy. Maybe it's related to the hearing problem. Ruthie is not receiving all the information so she fills in the blanks with her own imaginings. I did that as a kid but unlike Ruthie, I had parents and other adults in my life who didn't simply shrug it off but recommended and got help for me. But if all of what Ruthie is saying is true then what doctor would want to open a practice in such a train wreck of a town?

No comments: