Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Friday, July 23, 2010

Atlas Shrugged

I could not finish Atlas Shrugged.


To rabid fans of Ayn Rand: I'm willing to admit that I'm too stupid to understand her brilliant ideas. Fine, an obnoxious Objectivist or two might think I'm ignorant. I can live with that. I think of it as an intellectual equivalent of an obese person criticizing my relatively slow running pace.

This cartoon sums up some of my feelings quite nicely.

I loved this comment about the above mentioned cartoon:
"Rand never gets credit for her single greatest accomplishment... giving assholes an intellectual framework for being assholes."

Now, what to do with my copy of Atlas Shrugged, which I bought at a garage sale for 50 cents? I've thought about this a lot. I don't want to destroy the book because I don't believe ideas should be destroyed regardless of how bad. So burning, dunking, shooting, drawing and quartering are out.

A list of uses for Atlas Shrugged (that retains the readability of the copy)
1. Obvious: door stop and paper weight
2. Violent: blunt object that inflicts pain but no real damage
3. Liberal repellent
4. Yoga prop
5. Exercise equipment
6. When all you need is an extra 3 inches to reach something
7. Bug killer
8. Flower press
9. Furniture leveler
10. Lumbar support (paperback version)
11. Pot holder
12. Action figure scenery
13. Hot Wheels track support
14. Animation

Feel free to add others in the comments. I might get around to re-enacting some of these in photos and drawings.

No comments: