Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Deep Throat has been revealed and the news is all about Watergate. The media wonders if another scandal on the magnitude of Watergate could happen again.

I had to laugh when that question came up. 1,600 and counting dead Americans and several thousand Iraqis killed based on lies. The justification for invading Iraq was based on lies. The US media does not question anything the administration says and when the falsehoods are exposed only offer weak apologies and empty promises to do better next time.

This is bigger than Watergate. Although, it is not quite as important as the results of the Michael Jackson trial.

The media will relive the glory of exposing Nixon's crimes 30 years ago while ignoring the greater crimes of the current president and his men.

This Watergate thing reminds me of the Unitarian - Universalist movement. Every Sunday near Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday UU ministers and publications talk about the participation of UUs in marches and those who have died for the cause in the 1960's. We celebrate the lives and sacrifices of those brave UUs. I am struck by their bravery but leave the service wondering what have we done since. Nobody talks about that. I'm afraid of the answer I might find.

Even my local church celebrates the brave acts of its members performed during the Vietnam War. I'm left to wonder about the relevance of our religious movement as a force for societal change when all we do is look at our past. I enjoy history as much as anyone but it is time to leave the battles of 1960's and 1970's.

I don't know. It just seems to me that our UU movement is being led by a bunch of fogeys that only want to relive the past and bore to tears a growing segment of our denomination with their stories of past glory.

I'm having trouble articulating my frustration. I don't know if the frustration is with society at large, the UUA, my local church or with myself at my own indifference. At least the fogeys have stories to tell.

I'm sure someone will correct me in regards to the actions of UUs beyond the 1960's. I should look for myself without fear of the answers and whether those answers will only fuel my frustration.

This is not as easy at it looks.

No comments: