Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Friday, July 23, 2004

I walked 4,708 steps according to the step-o-meter.

Sometimes, I am embarrased about my religious affiliation. Check out uua.org The thing that bothers me is the use of an Abu Gharib image as an advertisng logo. It is a powerful image but a real human being suffered in that image. The cause is noble but using a person's suffering for commercial purposes is distasteful. At least those who use Christ's image for commercial purposes waited until he died and ascended. The man depicted in the logo may not appreciate being reduced to the level of the Nike swoosh or MicroSoft Windows logo. I certainly wouldn't. At least not without permission. I would also prefer to be depicted not suffering and be well compensated like Michael Jordan. It is a stretch to assume that the man in the Abu Gharib image meets the above criteria.

Against the backdrop the the whole war, occupation, scandal and everything my gripe about a logo is rather trivial. But I feel it violates the first UU principle, affirming the inherent dignity and worth of every person, to reduce a human being that has suffered so much to a mere advertising logo. It does not matter how noble the cause advertised.

I sent an e-mail to the the STOP campaign expressing these thoughts.

People do goofy things with great intentions. That is the risk one takes in undertaking a worthy cause.

Goofy spam names of the day:
Unitarian D. Surf
Plastered J. Spasming
Counterclaimed Q. Worsening
Boarder S. Margarita
Rips H. Paradoxical
Deflected O. Preses

Despite some the occasional well-intentioned blunders, I think Unitarian-Universalism is a great religion.

No comments: