Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Thursday, April 15, 2004

I am awake. I got enough sleep. It could be the caffiene talking.

The greatest thing that Coca-Cola did was to add flavoring to its Diet Coke. Lime and vanilla are my favorite flavors. Right now, I am enjoying a Lime Diet Coke and listening to some Reggae music on 6 Music from the BBC.

Yesterday, I had a good workout in the gym.

It was Heartworm pill time for the dogs. They enjoyed the pill mixed in with peanut butter fudge. Rusty was happy with the evening grooming.

This morning, I was able to groom Rusty and wipe Harley and Daisy's ears. Daisy's ears are much better, she tolerates surface wiping. I haven't tried deep cleaning yet. I'll make an attempt Saturday.

Hopefully, our accountant got our tax extension in on time. According to a story on CNN the average tax preparation time is 28 hours. That is an indication that something needs to be reformed in the tax code.

I propose eliminating all deductions and credits. The first $25,000 of income is tax free. Nothing is withheld until the $25,000 mark is passed. Income above that is taxed at 2%.

Under my plan I would pay 2% of $800 (that is my approximate income above $25,000). I would send the IRS a check for $16. That is much less than I pay now, even taking advantage of every conceivable deduction. On the combined income a check for about $300 would be sent. That is still less than what we pay. That is a bit of a penalty for marriage, so simply eliminate joint filing. One taxpayer, one tax return. Those making $25,000 or less would not pay income taxes.

This is too common sense to succeed. Tax related professions would object (they could still get business from the self-employed or others that do not get a W-2), various interest groups that receive deductions would object, certain progressives would object because they believe that the wealthy needs to pay a greater percentage. That last objection can easily be remedied by increasing the tax rate at various levels of income above $25,000.

This plan would require just using taxes to collect revenue rather than behavior modification or encouragement. Also, spending would need to be cut and perhaps user fees assessed for some services (you use a service, you pay, if not, no need to pay). Income taxes are just one small aspect of the many taxes that are paid. Sales taxes provide a lot of revenue.

Since we file an extension, our outrage or joy is delayed.

WASABI!

No comments: