Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Monday, January 02, 2006

I've suspected that catalog writers use random words to designate colors. Nothing is red, green or blue; it is ruby, emerald or topaz; or cherry, kale, or berry; or holly, pine or sagebrush. Sometimes other words modify the color - ruby red, grass green or sky blue. Catalog writers tend to get a bit too creative in designating colors but at least there has been some consistency in the designation. Pine is the same color throughout the catalog, as is navy, oak, moss, sky or sagebrush.

Cabela's has given up consistency in color designation and has allowed its catalog writers to run amok with the color designations. Dark mushroom is lighter than mushroom. Steele blue and dark blue are the same color but the steele blue on one page is different from the steele blue on another page.

This is going nowhere. I give up.

I found the color designations in Cabela's catalog a bit bewildering and sort of funny and then assumed that others would find it funny if I shared my bewilderment but then I just realized that I do not have the writing skills to make it funny or at least halfway interesting to read. I apologize for this piss poor attempt at witty observational humor.

Please move on. Nothing funny here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they have a poor intern stuck in a back room somewhere, with a thesaurus-cum-dictionary, and the poor thing is told that they had better come up with a hundred new names for what amounts to 20 actual colours or something...

I first noticed this phenomena back in about 1994, with a Lands' End catalogue... Then in an LL Bean catalogue, and it just ran from there...

Anyway, your attempt at wit, did not fall flat, I expect that it is all because it is January 2, 2006, a rather flat day...

Toonhead said...

Thanks I needed that. It was a flat day, plus I'm coming off a cold.

I read your comics. Funny stuff. I especially liked the one about satisfying a woman sans dick.

Anonymous said...

I think it probably has something to do with it being New Year, but not New Years Day... All that Jazz, without the excitement... Ummm...

Hey, thanks... I started drawing them in like, huh, September of last year... As you can see, I can't draw to save my life, but it's fun, nonetheless. The ultimate irony is that I have had more appreciation from straight men and women, than from lesbians, which I find I like. I am such a rebel...

Anyway, I must say that upon examining your cartoons I feel rather like a graffiti artist being complimented by Dali.