Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Be the Brand

Yesterday, I attended BrandMaster Training. Learned the background behind the name changes, the importance of getting the brand into the public's mind and making sure to use the energy lines. This training is meant to get over 3,000 employees to make the public aware of the various brands - College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Agrilife Research and AgriLife Extension. They want us to be the brand. A positive experience with an employee equals a positive association with the brand assuming that the employee mentions the brand.

I'm willing to be the brand but only from 8:00 - 5:00 Monday through Friday. The rest of the time I will be the Linda.

I was disappointed not to learn any neat tricks like they teach in Jedi Master training.

I realized I couldn't have success in the "branding" field because I just could not take it too seriously. I couldn't make the presentation with a straight face.

I've read on business websites about people applying the concept of branding to a personal level. Using various tools to promote the, for example the Linda brand, and create positive associations with the personal brand. At lot of these articles use marketing terms to dispense this advice: Be good. Don't be a jerk.

A bit of advice:
Make one black and white copy of your colored charts to make sure the contrast is retained before making thousands of copies and discovering red and purple look exactly the same on a black and white copy.

No comments: