Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Friday, October 01, 2004

I walked 2,811 steps yesterday, in addition to running over 4 miles.

I watched the debate last night. John Kerry won, in my opinion. He was more articulate and got his points across. That just means he is better at debate than George Bush.

The president had some pauses and stammers but that does not mean he is stupid as some on the left would paint him. He is not as good as John Kerry in that kind of event. If Kerry and Bush participated in a foot race, Bush would win; he is the better runner. If it was a bicycle race, Kerry would win; Kerry is the better cyclist.

Debate is just one of many skills needed to run the country. I'm not sure if it is the most important.

I wonder how Calvin Coolidge would fare in a modern presidential campaign?

There was one long pause that got the attention of the John Stewart of the Daily Show. It was a long pause that did not enhance Bush's perceived intelligence. A lot of people are not used to seeing someone pause, think then speak. I think it scares them.

I disagree with a number of Bush's policies and I think he is wrong about some things but I do not think he is stupid or evil. Actually, his cabinet and advisors concern me more. His style of public speaking has some similarities to my own. I would probably stammer and pause just as much if not more.

The funny thing is that the President possesses many strengths that would make him a great asset in an Unitarian-Universalist congregation or even as a minister in just about any religion. George W. Bush a great asset to our congregation!?! We can learn from George W. Bush and our congregations would benefit from having people like George W. Bush as members. That thought would horrify a lot of UUs and possibly get me excommunicated.

The crappy part about the first principle, the word every. F*ck*ng inconvenient. There are those that question 'every' but that is a UU hallmark. Sometimes I question the 'every' part of the first principle after listening to a pundit for about two minutes. Especially James Carville. James Carville, proof positive that even hideously ugly people can succeed, marry and even have sex with somewhat attractive people. That is good news for the one daughter that inherited his looks. This brings up the questions, can a person commit acts so horrible that they lose their inherent worth and dignity and who is qualified to judge? I'll ramble about that some other time.

Back to the topic, George W. Bush possesses some interpersonal skills that would be great on a membership committee or as a greeter. I've read and heard stories that when Bush is interacting with a person, he is very interested and focused on that person. He does not try to persuade or push an agenda, he listens and then acts if necessary. It is a skill that would make more visitors to our services stay and become members. To be fair, Bill Clinton also possesses similar people skills. People skills are yet another set of skills needed to run the country. How important, is up to debate.

I think that John Kerry has a greater balance of skills necessary to run the country. He may be be a *ssh*le (pure speculation - I have no evidence to support that assertion. I'm just trying to make a point about skill sets) in the personal skills department but I think he has other strengths that are more important in running a country. Besides, he has John Edwards to shore up those weaknesses. I'm more interested in removing Bush's cabinet and advisors, especially John Ashcroft.

If John Kerry makes the situation in Iraq or in the world worse, I will fully expect the members of my congregation to protest just as loudly as they do against George W. Bush. I will call them on it and if they pull "but this is different, he's a Democrat" sh*t, I'll ... honestly, I don't know what I would do. I've got too much invested in my church to resign over something as stupid as politics and the UU religious movement is too important to be impacted by political winds. Too many people need what we have to offer. No, it is not a refuge from the 'oppressive conservative atmosphere' of the greater community. God, I'm tired of hearing that sh*t. It is something more important, deeper and personal than that.

This Sunday, I'll try to be more like George W. Bush.

No comments: