Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

I walked 1,035 steps yesterday.

A thunderstorm came through last night therefore I did not turn on my computer and do an update. I'll take care of it this afternoon.

I have the afternoon off. I'll run 6 miles this afternoon in preparation for the overeating tomorrow. Actually, I might try a bit of moderation. At least rest between courses. I'm going to burn it all off on Saturday during my 16 mile run.

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. Fried turkey, pumpkin pie, sweet potatoes, broccoli/rice casserole, and football. I also look forward to spending some time with my family.

Things in no particular order that I'm thankful for:
1. Good health
2. Walter
3. All my basic needs: food, clothing, shelter, more than adequately met. I pray that everyone in the world could be blessed just as much.
4. A job that is not too stressful.
5. Pets
6. Family
7. A sound mind
8. Living in the United States with all the freedom and responsibilities that come with the privilege
9. Music, art, humor, the creative impulse
10. God and all creation in its glorious diversity
11. People willing to love and embrace me in all my glorious imperfection. People that see the good in me when I cannot or will not. People willing to forgive hurt, intentional or not, I've caused.

Okay, maybe there is a particular order. At least the order that these things came to mind but this list is not intended as a ranking. Feel free to judge my priorities and spiritual condition based on the order that these things came to mind. If it keeps you off the street and out of trouble then I can live with the judgment.

If you will be on the road tomorrow, slow down, be a bit more patient and we will all make it to our destination. I think our families would rather see us arrive late rather than not at all. Don't make a police officer deliver sad news on Thanksgiving. Just pull your head out of your ass and pay attention to the road and for once think about other people.

There are people that have to work on Thanksgiving, don't make their job more difficult by being a stupid asshole. Try for 24 hours not to be a stupid asshole. If you succeed, you might try longer stretches. It could change your life and improve the world.

Perhaps we could designate Thanksgiving, not only as a day of thanksgiving and gluttony but also as a day of not being a stupid asshole. Sort of like the Great American Smoke Out, except for stupid asshole behavior. Maybe the Friday after Thanksgiving would be a more appropriate day. The Great American Stop Being a Stupid Asshole Day. I like it.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: