Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

I walked 2,841 steps.

I went to the Bonfire Memorial Dedication Ceremony. It was a nice ceremony. Rick Perry, the Governor spoke. I'll have to check out the memorial sometime. It was a beautiful day. The clouds cleared out by the time the ceremony started. I hope the 12 families that lost their sons and daughters were able to take a measure of comfort in the memorial and the outpouring of support from the Aggie family.

It has been five years since the accident. A stupid, stupid accident. What the hell were we doing anyway? We suddenly awoke and saw the absurdity of this tradition. It took the loss of 12 young people to wake us up. I enjoyed participating in the tradition but was hard pressed to explain it to an outsider. The whole thing seemed so ridiculous when trying to use words to describe it. After the accident, it became more difficult.

Our governor expressed hope that the bonfire tradition would come back to the Texas A&M campus. It is never coming back. The deaths made sure of that. A bonfire may burn on campus but it won't be the same. That tradition died with those 12 people. I say let it stay dead. I don't want to see it come back as a bastardized shadow of its former self. A shell of a tradition without the spirit.

I don't know the words to Texas, Our Texas.

Goofy spam names:
Overlord V. Skein
Garnishee R. Diadems
Freestyle H. Susie

Aggie Class of 1991, graduated December 1992.

No comments: