Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Time to make the donuts

Time to make the donuts. This phrase runs through my head every morning when I get up to get ready for work. This does not happen on the weekends. Dunkin Donuts has not used that campaign in over a decade and the character actor in the commercial died a couple of years ago and yet my brain chooses to play this phrase. Does it count as a prayer, affirmation or mantra? Maybe, I relate to the sleep deprived donut maker a bit too much.

I wonder if actual donut makers use this phrase? On second thought, it would likely cause blank stares given the date of the campaign and the age of the workforce.

I had my first generational shock, eight years ago, when students in one my professor's class did not know about "I'm Just a Bill" from Schoolhouse Rock. They did not know how a bill became a law and had to gain that knowledge in the form of a slightly dry PowerPoint presentation rather than an entertaining cartoon.

I forget that I interact regularly with people that would not get pop culture references from the 1970's and 1980's. I wonder how the hell I know "Sock it to me!" Oh yeah, it got crammed down my throat via reruns and commercials.

No comments: