Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Idea of Things

I enjoy the blog, Stuff White People Like. I contemplated writing blog entries on the theme of Stuff White People Don't Like. I did not get much further than white people and being accused of racism. I realized that the whole thing was a shameless ploy to exploit the popularity of a better written blog to boost my own readership. I also risked instead of tens of people being exposed to my drivel, hundreds, possibly thousands people would read my blog and post comments about how my blog sucks.

Yes, I am aware of my weaknesses when it comes to writing. That knowledge leads to a bit of a conundrum for me. According to this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/01/18/MN73840.DTL most incompetent people do not know that they are incompetent. Since, I know, does that make me competent?

Back to liked stuff. I decided to be a bit more self-centered and focus on Stuff Linda Likes. I discovered I like the idea of things more than things themselves.

I like the idea of the following things:

  1. Gardening. Mainly the growing food type of gardening. I have taken a small step toward implementing the idea, I bought a pepper and zucchini squash plant. They are sitting on the kitchen windowsill in their original pots. I bought them last Sunday and have watered them twice. Maybe this weekend I will plant them.
  2. Composting. I'm afraid the dog will eat most of the materials.
  3. Cooking. I have hundreds of recipes in my e-mail archives. I've cooked from a recipe 3 times in 2007. I'm responsible for Bertolli's (or the parent company's) rise in sales this year. I'm interested in cooking for health's sake and pre-packaged food has a lot of sodium.
  4. Writing and directing videos. One of the ideas is to actually cook the recipes from my 1971 Betty Crocker recipe library and film the results and reactions.
  5. Performing in front of a live audience.
  6. Visiting India.
  7. Free running.
  8. Participating in Roller Derby. I have an aversion to pain.
  9. Do it yourself home improvement projects. I bought books. Walter finished the current porch expansion and wants to continue in smaller increments. Maybe this success will propel us into interior projects.

This list, except for number 8, could serve as a set of goals to work toward in 2008 and beyond.

No comments: