Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympics

Where can my dear husband see a good video of the drumming countdown to the opening ceremony of the Olympics? We tried nbcolympics.com but all the videos either edit that part or talk about how spectacular it was and then not show it. MSN also does not acknowledge the existence of my TV provider so I had to say Dish Network in order to see some of the archived videos.

I spent a good portion of the weekend watching various Olympic events. Can someone from another country explain to me what is so damn exciting about soccer? It is more fun to watch than golf, poker and fishing but not by much. I understand the existence of soccer hooligans, now. I watched soccer games on both CNBC and Telemundo.

Watched women's beach volleyball. US vs. Japan. The Japanese team is the second shortest team in the tournament at 5 feet 8 inches and 5 feet 9 inches! Caught a bit of men's rowing, and a little of women's indoor volleyball.

The men's light heavy weight boxing matches were boring. Jab - hug - jab - hug - jab - hug - jab - hug. The welterweights and light welterweights were much more interesting fights. I'm becoming a fan of Tony, one of the fight commentators. He sounds and looks like an old boxer that took too many to the head. He provides some of the best unintentionally funny commentary. For example, 4th round in a light welterweight match, the scoring was close and Tony says this match will come down to whoever can establish his identity. I did not realize boxing had so many dimensions - punching, bobbing, weaving and identity formation all in two minute rounds. Most of the boxing matches have been on CNBC and Telemundo but be sure to watch a few matches on CNBC for Tony's commentary and a segment called Tony's Corner. NBC needs to bring Tony into prime time.

I'm cheering for a 33 year old gymnast competing for Germany - a woman competing in women's gymnastics.

Watched a sport new to me - synchronized diving - much more impressive than synchronized swimming.

For those on Suddenlink Cable the channels are 6 (NBC), 21 (Telemundo), 23 (USA), 37 (CNBC) and 64 (MSNBC). I'm annoyed with NBC for not showing Olympics on all their channels at the same time. They only use two channels at a time and seem to go to commercial at the same damn time. I like to see various events and want to jump around during commercials. I guess NBC got too much grief when they added Sci-Fi to their Master's coverage so that one get left out for the Olympics.

I don't know why I'm so interested in this Olympics (I signed up for the alerts for Track and Field). I don't think I will get much done in the evenings for the next couple of weeks.

Speaking of games, I will be doing my first event in the Gold's Gym Games tonight - push ups. I'm aiming for 25, my personal best so far 21.

No comments: