Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Realistic drawing

I sometimes entertain fantasies about drawing realistically. I'm sure my skills would improve with practice. A book recently hit the shelves that has two of my drawings in it: http://www.tamu.edu/upress/BOOKS/2008/adamsrattlesnake.htm. One of the drawings is quite realistic and the other combines realistic with cartoony.

I find I can draw more freely in a cartoon style. I get too caught up in getting it right and end up feeling frustrated. I do envy those who can draw realistically.

I can draw a reasonable facsimile of something that I am looking at, although the perspective can get a little weird.

I've been experimenting with a simpler cartoon style. Those cartoons should go up in a couple of weeks.

In comics, great writing can overcome bad art. Look at XCKD or Wellington Grey - both stick figure comics.

No comments: