Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Zany and mundane

If those were my underwear choices, I too would find the challenge of choosing invigorating. My favorite is the black pair with lightning bolts and fuzzy balls hanging from the hem. I assume Ernie or his wife does laundry more often than once a week.

I find this panel especially funny because Ernie probably wears perfectly normal clothing over that underwear. Mohawks, Vanilla Marley dreadlocks, unnatural hair colors, tattoos, multiple piercings, torn baggy clothes - yawn. Ernie and those like him are the real weirdos and much more interesting.

A lot of people don't like Ballard Street but I love the combination of zany and mundane.

Speaking of mundane, minus the zaniness: Mary is looking rather angry in delivering that platitude in the second panel. Could be that I'm not all that good at reading faces in real life and drawn ones are even more difficult. It's the more subtle expressions that elude me.

This Vera storyline has gone on for over a month! This is longer than Karen Moy's usual 3 week arcs. Saunders used to go 10 weeks on his arcs. I can only hope they were more interesting. Vera forgive Von and keep your independence.

No comments: