Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Political ramblings after comics

Mary Worthless Mary Worth: Day 24. Who knew a kiss could mean so much? Why does every woman in Santa Royale have blonde hair? The woman that suddenly appears in panel two is a vampire. That is why she can move so quickly.


This gag first appeared in Ben Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanack.

--------------------------------------------

I will be voting in the Democratic primary. Texans can vote in either primary regardless of party affliation but can't vote in both. I might go to the precinct meeting after the polls close (sort of a caucus - Texas is a hybrid primary/ caucus state). The last one I went to was in 1988 to support Pat Robertson. I was 19. Call it a youthful indiscretion.

From what I observed from that experience in 1988 the candidate with the best organization (people with knowledge of the rules) will have the most impact at these meetings. I don't know the rules or fully understand how these meetings operate but I should go to at least try to have my voice heard.

In 1988, a lone Bush supporter used a procedural tactic to shut out the Robertson supporters. All the delegates from that precinct went to Bush. More Robertson supporters attended the meeting but none of us knew how to work this thing. All that we were told is that this meeting was important and that we should go. We were all enthusiastic, passionate and inspired but very niave.

A week after the precinct meeting a guy walked up to me in the library. He attended that meeting and his mother was the knowledgable Bush supporter. He apologized to me for how his mother behaved and felt that the tactic his mother used was quite underhanded. He was also 19. I think he may have been hurt more than I was. I got over the incident and ended up voting for Bush in the general election.

By the time the primaries happen in Texas, I will have just celebrated my 39th birthday. Texas will be critical in determining who will get the nomination. I don't want Clinton to have it. Some reasons ideological but mostly for emotional reasons. I would like to participate in a general election at least once in my lifetime and not see the Bush or Clinton name on the ballot. I would like my nephew to continue his recently started adult life without a Clinton or Bush in the White House. I still want to live in this country regardless of whoever is elected and I can live with an Obama presidency more than a Clinton presidency. If Obama turns out to be an ineffective president at least he will speak to my higher ideals instead of my base fears. The republic had survived ineffective presidents, I can survive an ineffective president.

The precinct meeting; I've never attended a Democratic one. I worry about a repeat of 1988 happening across the state. I should learn the procedures as fast as I can and hope that I can make a difference.

No comments: