Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Sunday, January 16, 2005

I got hate mail! My first hate mail for one of my cartoons. I have received one bit of hate mail about my Sears Catalog project but never anything about my cartoons. I've been doing this since 1999 and this is my first hate mail.

The mail, verbatim, errors uncorrected:

Subject: You're sick

I'm sure you've heard it before, but as an anti-abortion activist I have to tell you again. Anyone who can make fun of abortion and of children being abused is sick. There is nothing funny about that. I'm sure to you it was all fun and games, but to some that is life and that is all they know. I fight pro-life and I save lives. I do not force people to keep their children, and have never heard of one of the children saved being abused(though I'm sure it happens). If someone is in doubt as to whether or not they can rear their child without abusing them, their is adoption. People failing to see this are a hindrance to the world. You should channel your thoughts into doing something productive and good for people. Perhaps start with not making anymore cartoons like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The offending cartoon:
http://www.aperfectworld.org/cartoons/abortion.gif

I've heard it (You're sick) several times but never from an anti-abortion activist. Thanks for the deflowering.

Cartoons sometimes make a statement without being funny. Editorial cartoons about tragedies for example.

I was making fun of anti-abortion protesters that spend so much energy protesting abortions while doing nothing for children already here. Most of them actually vote for politicians that devise policies that harm children. Okay, Republicans.

I was in doubt as to whether or not I could raise a child without abusing it. I had my tubes tied. I used birth control before the surgery. Many anti-abortion activists want to limit access to birth control and some of them consider what I did an offense to God. Child abuse is even more offensive to God. I did not want to be responsible for hurting an innocent person.

The anti-abortionists always point out that there is always adoption. I support adoption. I was adopted. I'm grateful for that. Being a white healthy infant greatly improved my chances for adoption. Not all the babies being saved by the anti-abortion activists are as lucky. How many has my letter writer adopted? Not just the pretty ones with fair skin and blonde hair and no health problems. How many brown ones with less than perfect health?

I should be fair and point out that I was born before Roe v. Wade but I don't think I would have been adopted if I was black.

I think abortion should be a last resort when there are no other options. I believe that accurate information about what causes (Hint: FUCKING!) and prevents pregnancy should be widely distributed. This would help prevent unwanted pregnancies and lead to less abortion. I believe one should not reproduce before marriage, ideally wait until at least 5 years into the marriage.

I did not say No Sex, I said No Reproduction before marriage. Have sex all willy-nilly. Actually, that is the best way to have sex. Especially with someone you love.

Speaking of non-reproductive, willy-nilly sex I'm going to sign off now.

3 comments:

Toonhead said...

It was good.

Anonymous said...

Anti-abortionists just annoy me. I'm not sure what it is about them, but I'm not going to take the energy to think about it and figure out why. I'm pro-choice... that could be why. You comic just touches on one of the major arguments for pro-choicers. (is "pro-choicers" an appropriate noun?) Everyone is entitled to their own opinion without being sent hate mail. People need to lighten up. I laugh at things, even if they go against what I believe. Humor is humor. Dogs are dogs. Cats are cats. Sorry... i'll stop.

Anonymous said...

heh.. good going. That little bit of truth they don't want to acknowledge - the fate of the child that is neither wanted or loved.

Odd. I've never even had so much as one little byte of hate mail since the archives came into being.

ChildFree Abby