Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Running Log

This week I ran 9.1 miles, weigh 176.5 pounds and burned 1249.5 calories

Monday: 2.78 miles in 35:00
Wednesday: 2.90 miles in 35:00
Friday: 3.04 miles in 35:00

Next week I begin my formal training for the San Antonio Marathon.

Training plan for next week according to the program I downloaded from Runner's World:
Monday: Cross Train (I will do a 30 minute easy run)
Tuesday: Cross Train (Body weight calisthenics)
Wednesday: Tempo Run - 5 miles, 3 miles at 10:59
Thursday: Cross Train (Body weight calisthenics)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Long Run - 6 miles at 12:38
Sunday: Rest - always rest

This plan was generated based on my last race time (10K at 1:06:32), distance I'm training for (marathon - 26.2 miles, they are all 26.2 miles), current training miles (11 - 15), and intensity that I want to train (hard; I thought the moderate program was too easy and the longest training run for that program is 15 miles. For marathon the minimum longest run should be 16 miles. The hard program has its longest run at 20 miles. I like that better because once you run 20 it does not take that much more effort to go all the way).

In case you're wondering, I lost my mind on mile 18 of a 20 mile training run in 2003 while training for my first marathon.

If you can run 5 miles, you can train to run and finish a marathon.

4 comments:

jfield said...

I'm curious about your idea that anyone who can run 5 miles can train for a marathon. I'm training for a short course triathlon (1/2 mile swim, 21 mile bike, 3 mile run) and just extended my 3 mile run to a full 10K to see what I could do. I've been running 3 miles in 27 or 28 minutes and I feel like I could keep a 10K at a pace near that. But a marathon seems so much further to me.

Toonhead said...

It's about building up the miles slowly. Anywhere from 16 to 20 weeks. A 10 - 15% increase in mileage with the longest run being 20 - 22 miles. Some training programs might have you go up to 24 miles on the longest run. You may not be able to do a marathon at your 5K or 10K pace but it can be done at a slower pace. Yes, a marathon is quite a long ways.

C. Arenas, FNP-BC said...

Impressive running!When you say lost your mind what does that mean? hit a wall? went into altered state of consciousness?

I ran 3.5 miles the other day. Tacked on 2 extra laps. Those last two laps were far easier than my first 4. I can sending several more for a marathon.

Just when I was getting comfortable with the 3miles and possibly attempting a 10K on the flat, controlled environment of the track our coach breaks it to me that the tri run will be cross country with only the final 1/4 mile being on a track. *gulp*

Toonhead said...

When I lost my mind - it was removal of most of my doubt about whether or not I could finish a marathon. It did not matter how I felt, I knew I could finish that training run and ultimately the race.