Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Loki and the Boston Terriers

I discovered that Abbey likes to go on walks and use the bathroom during those walks. So I put her leash on her and tried to walk her in the back yard. Loki had to participate by grabbing on to her leash. He walked her around the back yard a bit but Abbey did not enjoy it. I took over and decided to try the front yard. Naturally, Loki had to go with us so I put his leash on him and went out the front door.

After untangling Abbey's leash from around Loki's legs we walked around the front yard. Abbey did her business and received a lot of praise. The Boston Terriers from across the street ran over to check out Abbey. They sniffed each other and then the Terriers went back across the street. Loki wanted to greet the Terriers but he wrapped his leash around a tree.

I unwrapped Loki's leash. He spotted the Boston Terriers across the street. He laid down and they approached. The male Boston ran up to Loki and Loki wrestled with him. This was a huge mismatch - 80 pounds of Loki vs. maybe 15 pounds of Boston Terrier. Loki used his mouth to pin the Boston Terrier and toss him a bit.

I yelled at Loki to let go of the Boston Terrier and I pulled on Loki's collar but that did not work. I yelled at the neighbor across the street to get his dog. The Boston Terrier yelped and Loki did not let go. The neighbor kept mowing his lawn, oblivious to my yelling and his dog's yelping. Walter came out and freed the Boston Terrier. The Boston Terrier ran back across the street. I don't think he was harmed, he just yelped a lot and probably had the scare of his life. Thankfully, the Bostons were smart enough to stay away.

I gave Loki to Walter and continued to walk Abbey, who sensibly stayed as far away from the fray as possible. Abbey completed her business and everyone went back inside before the mosquitoes ate us alive.

Loki remained a bit hyper after all this. I guess some sort of adrenaline rush. I certainly got one.

In the future, I will have to make sure that Loki cannot interact with dogs less than 20 pounds. I'm afraid that despite the fact that I obey the leash laws Loki will be the one who gets in trouble if a small dog gets hurt. Hopefully, training can help with the small dog issue.

Abbey escaped from her kennel last night but I fixed it and put her back in. She was much quieter and was still asleep when I opened the door.

No comments: