Drivel that cannot fit in a single panel comic.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

TCWC Nature Trail

Yesterday the weather was too lovely to exercise inside the gym, so I ran on the TCWC Nature Trail two times and did a few sprints in the parking lot. I felt uncomfortable running full speed because of the loose gravel in the parking lot but I think I moved fairly quickly. I haven't attempted a sprint off a treadmill since 1994. Old knee injury. I estimate I ran about 5K yesterday. I enjoyed the change in scenery and terrain. More play than exercise.

I've been deviating from my planned exercises quite a bit lately. I'm burned out on traditional weight lifting. Just seems rather boring lately. Tuesday I exercised on the rowing machine instead of lifting weights. I might do some body weight exercises or toss around a medicine ball this evening. I printed out an exercise routine called the "Five Tibetans". I might try that tonight. I have a meeting tonight so I don't have a lot of time to spend lifting weights.

If you live in Bryan or College Station and want to run on the trail, the directions can be found here: http://wfscnet.tamu.edu/tcwc/Directions.htm The entrance to the trail is marked by a couple of signs and there is a narrow gate to enter. No bikes or motor vehicles allowed. The trail is very narrow in a lot of places and quite swampy in one spot. There is tall grass that reaches into the trail so I would recommend pants or washing off as soon as possible. The trail is mostly flat. Right now the wildflowers are in bloom. Watch out for spider webs. Plenty of benches and trash cans on the trail and an emergency phone kiosk. I found it a good short fun route. I ran it twice in less than 30 minutes (I ran between 11:00 - 10:00 minute miles). If you want to take it at a slower pace and learn a thing or two there are markers on the trail with educational material on them.

No comments: